Thursday, May 12, 2011

Amazing!

I've started a new, hopefully quick-to-market project since I've watched most of my other main ideas grow into incredibly involved behemoths (that's not a bad thing; just means I need something else quick to make some money in the short term).  So I've come up with a new idea.  I won't go into any specifics yet (industry secrets and all!), but I will mention that it involves randomly-generated rectangular mazes.

So tonight I started the project and, in the course of about four hours, have implemented a maze generator that uses the Recursive division method.  Since this is all very early proof-of-concept code at this point, I added some extra fluff to the generator which allows single-stepping through the generation process (which is reflected by a very simple sprite-based depiction of the maze data).  It may be a very simple algorithm, and it may be a very simple proof of concept, but by golly it's cool to see it work!  In fact, let me not simply say it's cool.  See for yourself!


Cool, right?  Right?...okay, so maybe I'm easily entertained.  Nevertheless...  I now have a simple mechanism to generate maze data for me to use in the game.  Now I can move to actually using the maze data for its intended purpose!  (The potential collaborator I mentioned in the previous post?  I've asked him to implement a different generation algorithm known as the Randomized Prim's algorithm.  Different algorithms result in mazes with different "character".  I'll probably wind up using a variety of algorithms in the finished product.)

No comments:

Post a Comment